Monday, April 11, 2011

Journal #3 - Growth and Development of Characters

          As we near the end of our book, we have discussed the growth and development of the characters. This week, we looked at the relationships between Ishmael and Hatsue, as well as Kabuo and Carl. We notice how in their early years, their relationship was strong, yet they would eventually fail due to the growth of the characters. We connected this with the word "destruction" as well as the question "is destruction necessary for growth?" In this case, the relationships between the characters are being destroyed as the characters develop through the book. Looking at Ishmael and Hatsue's case, their relationship was very strong when they were young. They thought they could be with each other forever and nothing could possibly alter that. However, the growth shown from Hatsue starts the hinder this relationship. As Hatsue grows older and is brought up by her Japanese family, she realizes that her relationship with Ishmael can't work out the way she would like. Her Japanese heritage does not allow her to be together with a white man, but another Japanese man instead. This moral develops deeper within Hatsue, swaying the outcome of her relationship with Ishmael. My group discussed how Hatsue developed as a character and eventually found herself a Japanese man to marry, this being Kabuo. Looking back at the question, yes, destruction can be necessary for growth, and this situation is a prime example of it. Essentially, Hatsue destroyed her strong relationship with Ishmael, however it was for the better as she found herself a man who suits her morals.

          This week I feel my group has progressed well. As we complete our book, our understanding of it is much more clear than it was last week. The book all came together in the end, helping us come to a better understanding. Our discussion this week was rich, which included the development and growth of the characters throughout the story. I think I have fulfilled my goal from my last journal entry, as I have tried hard to build upon my group members ideas and thoughts. Overall I have been a responsible group member, listening attentively to my group. I have also done a good job this week contributing my thoughts and ideas and I have helped spark our conversation with questions.

1 comment:

  1. well done, just dont forget to include the group assessment !

    ReplyDelete